We have provided local youth with a Catholic education since 1890!
The Parish of St. Joseph was organized in 1880 and incorporated in 1881. The property that the school and parish reside on were purchased from Knapp and Stout Lumber Company. As of 1889, 125 families were registered with St. Joseph Parish, and within just a few short years (1892), Rice Lake soared to a population of 2,500!
Early pioneers in the Rice Lake area wanted to provide the framework of a faith community where children could mature in the Christian faith and learn about and live out the Gospel message. St. Joseph School was first established in 1890 and was initially staffed by Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity of the Holy Family of Alverno. Our school has been a mission of St. Joseph Parish for over 120 years. St. Joseph Parish resides next door to St. Joseph School.
Within 60 years the original school building was bursting at the seams with approximately 300 students. It was time to build a larger school! The present day building that St. Joseph School resides in is on the same property that the original school building sat and was dedicated on October 12, 1952.
Today, we continue to serve approximately 180 students grades 3K through 8th Grade.